Sunday, May 16, 2010

I've never felt closer!

This morning started like a lot of weekend mornings. I woke up before I really wanted. Five am and while others sleep, I came to my office to be quite and read emails and blogs to which I subscribe. I had plans to go to work today but really didn't want to make the drive. The cost of fuel is a significant load on the weekly budget. I'll change my plans to go in extra early Monday morning and play catch up.


Yesterday through the screen of the open window in my office, I heard Brett and Eddie talking about some berries growing on our property. I went to check it out for myself and sure enough there they were. Thorny bushes of wild black berries growing in the overgrown fence line. I picked a few and of course had to eat a couple. They are sweet. I picked a handful and brought them in the house and left them on the kitchen counter for others to try. I already had walked part of the fence line and found others growing wild. I made plans then to pick more the next day.

This morning I found a lid from an angel food cake to use as a bucket for the black berries and headed out the door. That's when it started. This was the most beautiful morning I can ever remember. The air was extra cool from the weak cold front that moved through this weekend, there was a light fog that gave the morning sun a special glow and music from the early birds singing. I guess I've never felt closer to God than I did this morning. Memories from the past filled by heart and it took some time for me to continue with my morning plans. God is good to give us these good memories and subdue the unpleasant past.


You can't see the trees for the forest. We've heard it over and over. I guess this is my example. I often look out my office window and see the beauty of the trees along our property line. They are a mixture of oak, pine, elm and others that I don't know their names. But while picking berries this morning I got closer than normal and I could see the beauty of what made the forest. These are the black berries that drew me closer to the forest than we normally look. I muse at what I put myself through to get to these morsel of sweetness. Before it was over thorns stuck in my fingers and tore the skin of my hands and forearms. I was hoping to pick enough for a cobbler, but don't think just one day's worth will make it. Maybe someone else will go out and pick some more tomorrow as others ripen.

I see a lot on the Internet about heirloom or antique flowers. They may not get any antiqueier than this wild rose growing in the fence line with the black berries and sweet smelling honeysuckle. This little antique rose is about to knock itself out when all these buds open. It's just getting started, there are hundreds of buds on this thorny little beauty.

Honeysuckle is really an invasive plant here in east Texas. It covers all our fence lines and climbs about anything it can find. It still smells sweet and should be a source of food for the honey bees I hope to have soon.



Speaking of honey bees, that's the newest thing on my want list. I'm gathering lumber now to build a top bar hive. Maybe several of them.

Sometimes it's really nice to have a good day.

Thanks God

No comments:

Post a Comment